Thursday, March 20, 2008

March 18th - Ambushed

It was a quiet night, the stiff and cool breeze from the harbor soothing to my skin and soul. I loved the feeling of wind in the darkness, especially when there was a good view to sit back and take in. Around me sat several friends, mates of mine from this new city, chilling out on the sea's edge; talking, dancing, taking photos. It was relaxed, it was still, it was awesome.

We had come out to celebrate a friend's birthday, a simple dinner at a near by restaurant followed by a casual stroll, a well rounded night.

As we walked back to the subway station I continued to enjoy the sensations, my thoughts dwelling on my life, the darkness around, and my friends. Granted I was engaged in conversation, talking gleefully about random and inane subjects, yet I was still taking the time to enjoy the peace that I missed.

We got on a walkalator, heading into a tunnel and I could suddenly feel a rush of coolness against my thin white cotton shirt. The air seemed to carry a touch of malice, and my senses prickled against an unforeseen threat. My silver amulet began to the tingle, going hot, then cold against my skin. Glancing around casually, I noticed that none of my friends could feel approaching danger. Was it merely my imagination?

Suddenly, without warning, globs of darkness began to drop from the tunnel's roof. As they feel, each began to coalesce into humonoid shapes.

It was unlikely that such beasts had good intentions for me and my friends; and as the girls in our group started to scream, I dropped my bag and ripped a sword out from beyond the fabric of space and time. The blade gleamed bright silver, 4 feet of solid steel, razor sharp and double edged. The hilt and guard were plain silver, wrapped in sturdy leather, a weapon made with purpose and without embellishment.



As the ambushers began to finish their transformations, I could see that they were covered in fur and black cloth, tusks jutting from their thick and protruding lower jaws. Their fists were wrapped around large scimitars that shone dully in the flickering light and their eyes glowed with a evil intelligence.

I charged, the world around me becoming a blur for a brief second as I flew across the ground in a single bound, my sword a trail of silver behind me. Even as I encountered the first beast, I ducked low and swung, barely feeling any resistance as my sword sheared through his mid section.

My soon to be vanquished opponent raised his muzzle to the sky and tried to howl, but all that came out was dark liquid. Slowly it crumpled to the ground, and then dissolved, back into the shadows from whence it came.

I slid to a stop, a good ten meters from where my friends crouched in fear. Advancing on them, either ignorant or uncaring of their friend's plight, five other creatures of darkness lumbered, seemingly intent on some ill will towards my friends.

Rage and laughter battled within me as I began to race towards them, wondering if indeed they merely underestimated my strength or honestly had missed what I had done to their comrade.

As my sword flashed again, this time it met steel, and as one the five turned on me. It had been a trap and like a proud fool I had fallen prey to such a simple lure.

Their dull blades leapt in, each intent on crushing my bones and ripping flesh to shreads. I began to dance among the blades, my own sword flicking in and out like a silver snake's tongue, whirling amongst the cauldron of death in a desperate bid to escape.

Blood began to flow from the numerous cuts that I had received, but also that I had inflicted. As I fought I could feel fear bubbling up within, but I was determined not to given in. Slowly I began to establish a rhythm to their attack.

With one last whirl I leapt straight up, turning a massive back flip and landing in crouch between the animals and my friends, sword held cross ways, barring them entry. Up ahead I could see that the escalator was reaching its destination, and some how I knew that when it did, these shades would vanish.

A vicious smile touched my lips as my five enemies looked behind them and cried out in fear, their squeals of anguish sending a shiver down my spine. With a sigh I slid my sword back into the nether from which I had summoned it, and watched as they vanished into the night. Slowly my cuts began to fade as my natural regeneration kicked in.

Immersed in my own thoughts and concentrating on the healing process, I missed the edge of the walkway and stumbled off the end.

"Josh, are you alright?" asked one of my friends, raising one eyebrow.

I looked down at myself, wondering if I had worn a white or red shirt that day, "No permanent damaged," I replied, shrugging without concern as we continued off into the night.

No comments: